1.The Name of the Association shall be “THE TAMILNADU CANONISTS’ ASSOCIATION’.
2.The objects of the Association shall be:
a) To favor contacts among the Canonists in Tamilnadu.
b) To create an interest in Canon Law and to promote and assist research in canonical matters.
c) To act as an information centre on matters of canon law and on matters of civil law concerning ecclesiastical issues.
d) To foster a dialogue between Canon Law and other ecclesiastical and secular disciplines.
e) To maintain contact with other Canon Law Societies..
3.Only Roman Catholics of the dioceses of Tamilnadu and Pondicherry shall be the members of the Association.
4.Membership is obtained by applying to the Secretary of the Association and it shall be approved by the Executive Committee.
5.A member shall lose membership if, having failed to pay his annual subscription for two successive years, he omits to pay the arrears of subscription even after two reminders. Any such person may be readmitted as a member of the Association by the Executive Committee on such terms and conditions as it may deem fit to impose..
a). An Ordinary General Body Meeting of the Association shall be held once a year. The executive Committee shall decide the time and place of the meeting and propose the agenda.
b). All the general meetings of the Association shall be called by the Secretary in consultation with the President, giving to the members at least two months notice in writing, stating the time and place at which the meeting is to be held and the business to be transacted there at. Provided that in the cause of necessity, the President or the Executive Committee may instruct the Secretary to summon a General Body Meeting by not less than 30 days notice as aforesaid.
c). An extraordinary meeting of the Association shall be held at such times as the Executive Committee shall from time to time decide. Provided that 1/3 of the members of the Association may summon an Extraordinary Meeting by a written notice to the Secretary stating the business which they wish to be discussed at that meeting. This meeting shall discuss only the business for which the meeting was called.
d).The Executive Committee shall determine all members of procedure at the meeting.
e).All the members have an active voice at the General Body Meetings of the Association.
f).No person, who is not a member of the Association, shall without the permission of the Chairman, be present at any General Body Meeting of the Association. The quorum for any General Body Meeting of the Association shall be 1/3 of the total number of the members.
g).Except as otherwise provided for in the Statutes or as decided by the General Body, all questions shall be decided by an absolute majority of the votes of the members present and voting at a General Body Meeting of the Association.
h).In case of any equality of votes on any matter at the General Body Meeting, the Chairman shall have a casting vote.
7.General Body Meeting :
a). The General Body Meeting of the Association shall normally take place during an annual convention when members have the opportunity to meet and to discuss matters of canonical interest.
b). It is the responsibility of the Executive Committee to prepare the programme for the convention and to see other arrangements connected with the convention.
8. The annual subscription payable by each member shall be fixed from time to time by the Association at its General Body Meeting.
9. The annual dues and any contributions received by the Association from other sources shall be used to promote the objects of the Association and to cover its expenses.
10. Should the Association cease to exist, its funds shall be turned over to the Tamilnadu Bishops Conference that will dispose of them for objects similar to those pursued by the Association..
VI EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
11. The Executive Committee of the Association shall consist of the Office Bearers of the Association i.e. The President, the Vice President, the Secretary, the Treasurer and three other members to be elected at a General Body Meeting of the Association. The quorum for the meetings of the Executive Committee shall be three.
12. The President shall be elected from among the members of the Association at an annual General Body Meeting of the Association for a period of three years. He shall be eligible for re-election for a further term of office, but he shall not thereafter be eligible for re-election as President until he has been out of office for at least one term of three years.
13. The other office bearers and members of the Executive Committee shall be elected by ballot from among the members for a period of three years and shall be eligible for re-election.
14. The President shall preside over all meetings of the Executive Committee and shall chair the General Body Meeting of the Association. He shall act officially in the name of the Association and represent it at meetings.
15. The duties of the Vice-President shall be to assist the president and to perform duties of the President in the absence and at the request of the President.
16. The duties of the Secretary shall be:
a)To keep a current list of names and addresses of members.
b)To keep a record of all meetings, correspondence and minutes.
c) To notify members of the time, place and agenda of the meetings.
d) To conduct the elections for the Office-Bearers and the members of the Executive Committee.
e) to present at every annual General Body Meeting, a report of the work of the Executive Committee since the last annual General Body Meeting.
17. The Treasurer of the Association shall collect the dues to be paid by the members and shall administer the funds of the Association. He shall present the annual Financial Report for approval by the Association at its annual General Body Meeting.
18. In the case of death, resignation or disability of the President, the Vice President shall take over the office of the President till the next General Body Meeting. In the event of any of the Office-Bearers ceasing from office, the Executive Committee shall appoint an office bearer to fill up the vacancy till the next General Body Meeting..
VII SUB – COMMITTEES
19. The Executive committee may from time to time establish sub-committees, which it may deem useful for the pursuit of the Association’s objects..
20. The provisions of this constitution may be amended on the following conditions:
a) The amendments shall be proposed by not less than five members of the Association, who shall have signed and submitted a written proposal to this effect to the Secretary not less than three months before the date of the General Body Meeting.
b) Provided that the amendment is not in conflict with any of the objects of the Association and
c) Provided that the amendment is passed by the majority of 2/3 of the members present and voting by ballot at the said General Body Meeting.
Last Amendment: 23-02-1998